METREX is an Associated Partner of this new Interreg Central Europe project, which is led by Brno Metropolitan Area and which will focus on strengthening metropolitan cooperation and Governance in Central Europe.
A new Interreg Central Europe project has launched that aims to identify the best tools, procedures and examples of good practices for strengthening metropolitan cooperation and governance in Central Europe and apply them in metropolitan areas towards strengthening integrated metropolitan strategic and spatial development.
The so-called MECOG-CE project will consist of intensive cooperation between the partner cities, research experts and representatives of international networks. The cooperation is based on international meetings aimed at sharing good practices. The first transnational partner meeting has already taken place in Brno.
Speaking about the project, METREX Secretary General Henk Bouwman said: “With the upcoming EU elections in Spring 2024, Metropolitan regions and Areas should be bold in explaining their important role in achieving our common agendas. As an important basis, strengthening metropolitan cooperation and governance is central to the effectiveness of our members and how well they can create the right sorts of environments for people to thrive. METREX is very pleased to be an Associated Partner of this important and solutions-orientated project.”
The project includes partners from cities and metropolitan areas – many of which are METREX Members –, as well as research institutions. These are:
- The City of Brno (Brno metropolitan area)
- The City of Warsaw
- The City of Ostrava
- Stuttgart Region Association
- Joint Spatial Planning Department Berlin Brandenburg
- Metropolitan City of Turin
- Charles University
- University of Silesia in Katowice
- Metropolitan Research Institute
The project also involves associated partners, namely:
- Metropolitan City of Milan
- Upper Silesian Metropolitan Area
- Ministry of Regional Development of the Czech Republic
- Union of Polish Metropolises
- METREX network of European Metropolitan Regions and Areas