Deadline for applications: 15 October 2023
Should I stay or should I go: urban sprawl, density, and a new planning agenda for Europe
From January to June 2024, Belgium will be presiding the Council of Ministers of the EU. During this presidency, perspective.brussels, the Brussels Planning Agency, organises a seminar on 29 and 30 May 2024, bringing together public agencies and municipal departments in charge of spatial planning in different European cities and metropolises.
They see the Belgian presidency as an opportunity to foster the dynamic collaboration between our cities across Europe and deliver bold messages to the European institutions when it comes to urban planning and governance.
This seminar could be your opportunity to present an innovative practice from your city!
What are they looking for?
With this call, they are looking for practices that are innovative, inspiring for other cities and metropolitan areas, and that have a real impact on the ground. Practices can be policies, projects, processes, events or organisational structures developed by local, metropolitan and regional authorities. They can be implemented by the authorities themselves or by other local stakeholders.
What is the topic?
The main topic will be avoiding urban sprawl and developing qualitative density so that a new planning agenda for Europe with good practices can be set. The seminar will be an occasion to discuss this topic through three dimensions:
- New ways of urban living and urban dwelling
- Green, blue and grey: combining a built environment with nature
- Planning tools for a sound governance of the city
Who should answer this call?
This call is open to public agencies and municipal departments in charge of spatial planning and territorial development in different European cities and metropolises (from the 27 EU member states as well as Norway, Iceland, United Kingdom and Switzerland). You can send more than one practice but please make sure to send them in separate questionnaires.
Why submit a practice?
- An occasion to participate in the seminar in May 2024 and contribute to the discussion, finding answers to common challenges
- Be featured in our publication published at the occasion of the Belgian presidency of the EU and disseminated to our EU partners
- An opportunity to present your practice during one of the parallel workshops at the seminar in May 2024 and gather input and inspiration from other participants
- Be part of a large community of practice and join fellow urban experts, practitioners and decision makers in sharing knowledge and experience