Applications are now sought for the Bernd Steinacher Fellowship, a two-year programme aimed at supporting research on metropolitan issues by a student or early-career professional.
Deadline for applications: midnight 3 November 2023
About Bernd Steinacher
Bernd Steinacher was the Regional Director of the Verband Region Stuttgart with its directly elected the Regional Assembly. Mr. Steinacher was also President of METREX from 2004 until 2008. During this time, Mr. Steinacher was instrumental in introducing most of the other new German metropolitan areas to METREX. The network was strengthened greatly during his Presidency.
Through Mr. Steinacher’s leadership, Stuttgart established strong ties with the United States, principally through a partnership with the Northern Virginia Regional Commission – the first region-to-region partnership between councils in Europe and North America. This enabled METREX to add a truly global dimension to its affairs. It also gave regional councils in the US greater and more formal learning channels to counterparts in Europe.
The Fellowship was created in 2010 to sustain the values and interests brought to METREX by Bernd Steinacher.
- The value of Europe as an exemplar of international cooperation for a common good.
- The value of a metropolitan dimension to European affairs, meaning the good governance of major urban areas and their areas of influence.
- The inter-related nature of many of the key issues needing consideration at the metropolitan level and the need for joined-up thinking.
- The value of networking as a means of exchanging information, knowledge and experience for mutual benefit.
- The value of strong and mutually supportive personal relationships in international, European and metropolitan affairs.
The value of the Fellowship is €2.500 per year provided by METREX and the Verband Region Stuttgart.
Previous Fellows have worked on issues relating to the metropolitan dimension, including housing, governance models, and urban responses to Covid-19. The scope is open, but should be relevant to the work of METREX members.
We are looking to appoint our next Fellow in January 2024, and now invite applications from students or early-career professionals.
Please help us by considering suitable candidates. These individuals may be within your organisation or within a local academic institution.
How to apply
Please read the supporting document, which contains information on criteria and how to apply.
20231003_METREX_Bernd Steinacher Fellowship 2023-25 (PDF)